Atari Space Duel to Major Havoc Converter board replacement

From: William Boucher <wboucher6_at_cogeco.ca>
Date: Thu Apr 07 2011 - 06:58:47 EDT

With respect to Major Havoc conversions of Space Duel (and Tempest), many of you are already aware that PhoenixArcade and ThisOldGame have released new reproduction artwork for the CPO and cabinet. Since the artwork requirement has been solved, the next issues would be in finding a working Major Havoc game board and also a working conversion board. I already have an original Space Duel conversion board for my own MH project but I have found them to be rare and very expensive. A few guys I've spoken to recently have stated that the main reason that they gave up on their plans to build their own MH conversion was that they simply could not find a conversion board (for either Space Duel or Tempest).

To help remedy this shortage, I have recently finished routing a new replacement PCB for the conversion board for Space Duel. I chose to reproduce the Space Duel conversion board because it seemed to be the more rare of the two. If there is enough interest later, I may go ahead and produce a Tempest version.

I am wondering how many people may be interested in purchasing one of my new Space Duel to Major Havoc conversion boards. I know that everyone will want to know "how much does it cost" but I don't have an exact total just yet. I'm hoping to achieve $150 or less for completed and testing boards. I'm thinking about producing 20 or 30 boards.

My version of the board is 90% the same as the Atari original, however, I did change a few details. I added two LEDs to indicate plus & minus 15V power on the board. I designed the board so that the LEDs and the adjustment POTs can be mounted on the back side of the PCB in order to make them easily and directly accessible from the back of the machine. I also added appropriate text on both sides of the PCB for the POTs, LEDs, and voltage test points. They can go on either side so it's up to personal preference. The arrangement of the components is 90% the same. I used the original component references in order to line up with the original schematic as much as possible although I will provide the actual new schematic with the PCBs. The copper circuit routing is 100% my own. I did not attempt to copy the original copper layers.

If anyone is interested in getting one of these new boards when they are completed, just email me directly. I'm gauging interest here so if I get no responses, I probably will not invest in getting the PCBs made. If I go ahead then I expect to have them available for sale in about a month assuming that the board works okay. If your interest is with Tempest, be sure to let me know. The more such requests I receive, the more likely I will be to produce the Tempest version.
email me: wboucher6@cogeco.ca

William Boucher
http://www.biltronix.com