Amplifone monitor - still stumped on bright dot in middle.

From: John Huie <jehuie_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat Jul 23 2011 - 20:05:43 EDT

Just to refresh...this monitor on this Star Wars works good and the graphics are all there and everything but there's a constant bright dot in the middle.  If I turn the brightness down enough for the dot to go away then I can't see the other graphics at all.

Here's what I've tried so far:

- Bought a whole slew of components from Bob Roberts to rebuild the deflection board and HV board
- HV is good.
- B+ is good.
- Adjusting color drives doesn't help.  Brightness down and the color drives up still won't let me turn down dot enough to see graphics well.
- I don't have any spare parts to swap in. I only have 6100 vectors other than this.
- double checked continuity from focus block wiring, all connections under boots are good. Good continuity back to HV board and color drives on deflection board are good.
- Pins on neck not shorted to heater pins.  (Except pin 4 which isn't used - could this be a problem?)
- W jumpers are all long gone.
- Resistors in neck board/ring are good.
- Does same thing with known working PCB set.
- Reflowed J103 and tested continuity along wires.
- Ground to neck board/ring is good.

Still not sure how to check Z signal. What components should I be looking at that are common to all 3 colors that could be causing this?

Any other idea?

Thanks everyone. I'm working on this for a friend of mine and just about at the end of my rope.