SW Amplifone heat problem

From: Andre Huijts <a.huijts_at_upcmail.nl>
Date: Sun Jul 24 2011 - 05:48:59 EDT

I thought I had reworked my Amplifone completely from A to Z but I still have one problem.

Let me say first that I did _ALL_ the standard work, cap-kit, the FAQ things etc. Installed extra fan.

Still, after having run for 15/20 minutes and playing (which is a big difference to letting it run 15/20 minutes in attract.) what happens is that the horizontal deflection seems to act up. I get what looks like a sine wave over the hor. deflection. It esp. happens when large horizontal vectors are drawn, so in the trench level. They come and go but the frequency of it happening increases when it heats up further. Sometime it reaches a point where the screen goes blank for a second or so and then comes back. I guess the protection of the deflection board is kicking in because of the bad hor. deflection signal.

I suspect it's a problem on the deflection board, but I'll try to run another SW pcb set first to confirm, but maybe someone recognizes this problem ?

The picture is really different from deflection issues you see with a bad pot. A bad pot causes "straight" defl. problems. What I see with this problem is that the hor. lines get shifted in a sine wave pattern.

Any help welcome, I _must_ have this machine running reliable before 3 sept.

André Huijts
andre.huijts@upcmail.nl