Re: Amplifone monitor - still stumped on bright dot in middle.

From: John Huie <jehuie_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun Jul 24 2011 - 23:38:57 EDT

John said, "I suspect that signal is your problem though. Either it is not coming from the board or it is not amplified by the monitor chassis or possibly the picture tube has a cathode short and this negates the Z-axis level completely. Not sure about that last hypothesis though..."

Thank you John.  I'm focusing on that last part you said now because it makes sense to me.  I'm thinking that you mean if I measure the voltages on either of the 3 color signals from the SW CPU board that will indicated my Z signal, correct?  Which is why I really need a scope.

However, since both my SW boards do the same thing and work fine in my other SW game, they are clearly generating the Z signal.  Which leaves the other two options.

It seems unlikely that all 3 colors would be having problems amplifying by the monitor chassis.  And since the dot in the middle is pure white, I think we can negate that possibility.  I'm not sure this is true but I'm not getting a lot of feedback so that's my best guess.

So that leaves me with a short in the monitor as being my most likely culprit.  I tested for a short at the pins and only found a short going from the heater pins to pin 4.  I'm still not sure if that is ok or not though.  And if it's a problem, whether there is a work around or if it means I'm screwed and need a new tube.

Help. Pretty please!