Re: Tempest vector distortion

From: Andrew Welburn <andy_at_andysarcade.net>
Date: Tue Aug 09 2011 - 19:21:43 EDT

If you turn up the brightness in the attract mode on the early revision you can see the beam is sent way off the edges of the screen. Yes, they shipped it like this. On a brand new monitor this was of little concern back in the day.

Fast forward 30 years, and This either fritzes out the monitor completely or causes foldover and other weirdness at several points including inter level zooms and the firework display at the endgame. The deflection transistors can cope with normal gameplay, but this over deflection causes partial saturation of the transistor junction, and you see the weirdness with folding or curling. Once the game returns to normal deflection size, the transistors behaves normally.

Either you change the game code and cross your fingers the monitor holds out a bit longer, or you find the chassis mounted deflection transistor that is breaking down under load and put in another.

I have seen this folding/curling on 3or4 tempests in the past. Some people don't notice it, think it's normal, or just live with it. Others like me want to find out why and fix it :) it is common, and it's a problem that only shows up on marginal monitors, it's easily fixed, but you need to swap out transistors one at a time to locate the duffer. Because gameplay isn't affected, some people leave it be, or can't understand why it happens. If you study tempest on a scope display, you can see where the beam is allowed to wander off to a maximum deflection position rather than be brought back to rest at zero. The updated rom code addresses this lazy coding by adding return to zero command every now and then on the fireworks, title screen and inter level zooms... At least I think it does, I rarely find the updated roms on tempest pcbs, it's super common to find the over deflecting romset all the time. I don't remember which revision is which, suffice to say early revs over deflect, laters don't... There is paperwork from atari that describes what the new revision roms do, but I think the rom rev was only issued as an optional, not a compulsory upgrade, I think they mention something about 'extending the life of your monitor' with it.

Andrew Welburn (mobile)
www.andys-arcade.com