Re: K6100 T901

From: <akswanson_at_ntelos.net>
Date: Sun Aug 28 2011 - 21:48:52 EDT

        I had suspected the triple nickel (555), and indeed it was fried.
It also took out Q905, AND T901..  I verified this by trying T901 in
a known good HV unit.  I got smoke, and another blown Q905..
So if anybody knows where I can get a replacement T901 thatd be
swell!

> I&#39;m not saying that you don&#39;t have a bad T901, but can you
verify that

> IC901 (555 timer as a simple oscillator) is running. A scope would
show a

> nice square wave coming out at pin 3. If it is stuck in the high
state,

> it would keep Q904 and Q905 turned on constantly and that would
certainly

> cause your problem. Of course in this state, there would be no HV
output

> at all. Check ZD900 for 13V across it. ZD900 is the voltage
regulator

> for the 555 chip. If the zener is partially shorted and there
isn&#39;t

> enough voltage across the 555 chip, then the 555 chip output might
be

> stuck even if there&#39;s nothing wrong with it. If the zener is

> open-circuit, the 555 chip will likely have blown.

> You should remove R917 and leave it out until you can verify that
IC901 is

> running okay and that the transistors Q904/905 are both switching.

> functionally test Q905, you can add a temporary 10k (to 47k)
resistor

> (1/2W to 1W) from +Vsupply (+28V) to Q905 collector. If scope shows

> good square wave, remove the temporary resistor and return your
focus to

> T901.

> If you do not have a scope but you have a voltmeter, connect your
meter

> (-) to ZD900 anode or IC901 pin 1. Use the meter(+) to measure
voltage at

> ZD900 cathode and IC901 pin 8. Both should be about 13V. Measure
IC901

> pin 3. If it is running, it should be around 6.5V plus/minus around
0.5V

> roughly. The point here is that pin 3 should be outputting a square
wave

> having roughly a 50% duty cycle so the voltmeter should show
approximately