RE: Wico XY Pattern Generator - Decoding Switches

From: Zitt Zitterkopf <zittware_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon Nov 07 2011 - 17:36:40 EST

Dave - You rock! Thanks to everyone else too.
I've schematic captured based upon your schematics; Dave - many thanks. The only peices I haven't captured are the PSU, the 2nd page, and diode switch matrix.

Some questions came up while "re-engineering" the schematics.

@A-7 on page 1; R3 topside is listed as a NC... I'm guessing this is incorrect as why would anyone put a resistor without a second conection?
My Guess is that R3 ties to +5V like the other two (R4, R5).

IIRC; something was "off" when I wired U2 @ D-6. I think you had Q2 and Q3 pins swapped. I'll look for sure when I get home.

The Power supplies weren't pictured for U14, 15, and 16. These Opamps are tied to the +12 and -12 rails?
I plan on simulating the opamps to try to gain insight as to what they are doing.

Seems odd that the DAC08s are driven from a non-linear voltage rail. IE V+ is 5V and V- is -12V. I'd have thunk they rails would be symetrical. IE +/-12V. Maybe the opamps linearize it?

Can anyone get me some rail power measurements?
I'm going to try and do away with the transformer and linear regulators in favor of a more complex (yeah; I know K.I.S.S) PWM psu which puts our all three rails.
If I knew what the average current was for each rail; a small PWM might be nice and cheap.

I *so* wish this was an opensource hardware project ... I'd so like to release my PCB and schematics (assuming it works) to the public.
<sigh>

John