Re: Wico XY Pattern Generator - Decoding Switches

From: Zonn <mlists_at_zonn.com>
Date: Tue Nov 08 2011 - 05:28:20 EST

It looks like Q1 is missing a resistor on its emitter to ground, and a
wire going somewhere (is this the Z-axis driver?). Without these the
whole U12B circuit doesn't do anything, and you can remove it.

Depending upon the op-amps you're using, you might want to put some
10~50ohm resistors on the outputs of the the op-amps that drive the
monitors. (U14 B&C and U16 B&C). They will keep the op-amp from
oscillating when driving long wires, and will give some protection if
(or should I say when) the outputs are shorted to ground, a voltage, or
each other. Some op amps have these resistors built in. Your schematic
doesn't mention the op-amp's value so I couldn't look them up.

Use 74HCxxx series. they're fast, low power, and will be more noise
resistant than the 74xx or 74LSxx devices.

The proper way to terminate unused op-amp sections (U14D & U16D) is to
tie the '-' input to the output (like U16D), and tie the '+' to ground.
This forces the output to ground (instead of +12V or -12V). This will
usually result in lower power consumption, and prevents disasters if the
output accidentally gets shorted by the probe of a voltmeter or
oscilloscope.

-Zonn