RE: Wico XY Pattern Generator - Schematic capture complete

From: Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon Nov 14 2011 - 14:31:21 EST

>The real way to re-design this is to use a ST Micro Cortex-M3 ARM
processor,
> with built-in DACs, and a couple of op-amps. You could have user
downloadable
> patterns. Or heck, you could just throw in an emulator and run games
directly from
> the ARM's memory.

For a pattern tester the ARM's even overkill (although for bang per buck
it's hard to beat). Atmel's XMega A4's work fine for vector based stuff
with their internal DACs. A few bucks each in small quantities for the 32K
flash part. I made a vector generator for an RGB laser with three chips--
XMega32A4 and a couple TL082's-- and a little CUI 5V-> +/-15V DC/DC
converter for the analog rails. (I used the ADC inputs on the micro to
digitize sound and control the vector generator.)

-Clay