Subing EZ80 microcontrollers for Z80A cpus

From: Zitt Zitterkopf <zittware_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 01 2011 - 03:19:41 EST

Has anyone ever tried substituting an EZ80 microcontroller in place of a Z80A Cpu?
Specifically; I was thinking it might help solve some of the cpu lag issues seen in the higher levels of the G80 Star Trek.

According to the Z80 WIKI; the EZ80 can retire instructions at an average of 3.5x faster. Supposedly it’s binary compatible with the original Z80A.

By no means is such a conversion trivial – was just curious what people may have tried or have comments on?

I’ve only taken a cursry scan of the Datasheet:
http://www.zilog.com/docs/ez80acclaim/ps0192.pdf

John