RE: Subing EZ80 microcontrollers for Z80A cpus

From: Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun Dec 04 2011 - 18:49:42 EST

Ahhh, interesting. Makes it easy to intercept at least.

The big question then is really if the game is running async from the frame
rate or not. It's just been too long since I was mucking about and patching
those to remember anymore. I suppose a debug build of MAME would probably
be educational if it has a t-state count in the debugger. Set a break point
on the external interupt service routine and see if you get about the same
number of t-states every frame.

I'm basing this off of a vague recollection though too-- what I recall is
that when my multigame menu graphics got too complex it simply didn't draw
some of them (suggesting it had a fixed amount of time to finish vs. a
variable framerate that slowed down and flickered like an Atari AVG would).
I had converted a bunch of Borland BGI stroked fonts to the G80 vector
format and immediately ran in to problems with draw time. (In particular I
remember only getting one of my "selection arrows" on the screen.)

I suppose that still makes for an easy test-- just keep the external clock
select high and clock the Z80 separately and see if the game runs OK or not.
;-)

-Clay

  _____