Re: Strange 6101 jittering and pincushioning

From: <kspradling_at_kc.rr.com>
Date: Thu Jan 26 2012 - 10:14:29 EST

My Tempest had similar problems that I traced to a bad capacitor on the HV board. There are two that filter the input voltages +/- and these were getting weak. I have the original PCB version and no mods for input protection or high voltage.
---- Andre <livnfree_can@yahoo.com> wrote:
> i would be interested in hearing if you solve this. my space duel has something similar that is best seen on the screen where you can chose the type of game. the scores and ships available shift up and down a quarter inch sort of thing as the game choice is flashing, in time with the flashing.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate

Xyla <xduval@xyla.net> wrote:

Hi,

I have a WG 6101 that when I run Major Havoc on it, when the screen
gets really full and the vectors are flickering a bit, the vectors get
very jittery in the top corners.  When there isn't much being drawn it
is totally stable.

There is also a slight pincushioning... I know it's not the MH adaptor
because it can be seen on Tempest.  I've tested with two Major Havoc
boards (both jitter), and I've tested the same Tempest board on a
different monitor with no pincushioning, so these problems are
definitely occurring within the monitor itself.

I got this monitor recently, and it looks brand new.  It was sitting
in someone's house for years... has no burn, and there was still hot
glue on the flyback controls.  I did a full recap and installed an
LV2000 lite, and even did the Major Havoc diode mods to the underside.
Unfortunately I do not know for sure if these problems were occurring
before I did all this... I didn't want to run the monitor for more
than a few moments before recapping it.  But, I did not notice any of
these things happening until after all the preventative maintenance.

My first question is, could the MH diode mod be causing any of this?
I read that it was unnecessary if you install the LV2000, but I was
just being thorough.  I figured I'd ask before I undid the mod.

Other than that, do these symptoms sound indicative of anything else?
I did not replace any of the T0-3 transistors... maybe I should?  But
again, I did not notice any problems before the work I did on it.

Thanks for any assistance.