Re: Strange 6101 jittering and pincushioning

From: Mendel Pearl <mypearl_at_dds.nl>
Date: Tue Jan 31 2012 - 16:26:18 EST

The way to go here is to test the boards outputs directly with a scope
in XY mode. I could also see the jittery X output by just displaying the
X signal on the scope in regular mode, with the game in test mode to
obtain a repetitive signal. The signal should be rock solid in the
latter case, and no jitter is to be observed in XY mode.

When you suspect the monitor, make sure you remount the chassis
transistors using new heat paste. Clean the pins and sockets. Reflow all
solder joints on the amp board. Check the supply rails for excessive
ripple when the game is playing. If you see a lot of ripple with the
vectors being drawn and the transistors have been remounted and the amp
board reflowed, replace the main filter caps on the amp board. So far I
have not had to replace any of those. See one of my previous posts on
how to make the WG6100 amp board bullit proof without buying a LV2000.

On the monitor there is no circuitry that affects pincushioning, it is
an inherent effect of the way the tube and deflection coils interact.
Bad connections on the chassis transistors, bad solder joints and dried
oud filter caps can all have their effect on this, however I would not
expect it toshow up as a pincushioning problem, more so the jittery
display, the more on the extremes of the screen.

- Mendel