Re: G05 issue

From: Andre <livnfree_can_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Feb 25 2012 - 14:24:35 EST

thanks bill, its the bottom as i have monitor on the floor in back of the cabinet. i'll check what you suggested.. pretty sure i replaced at least one of the small transistors in -y.
on the brightness i will pay more attention to what it does as it was secondary to really look at over that other issue but who knows, they may be related....

Sent from my Samsung Captivate

William Boucher <wboucher6@cogeco.ca> wrote:

So strange, I thought that would have been it.  Have you tried replacing the Y axis TO-3 power transistors yet.  I had previously assumed so.  Something is either stopping on of them from turning on enough to reach full deflection or the transistor itself is failing somehow when it tries to turn on that much.  The image squishes into a line simply because the driver for that side of Y cannot turn on all the way.  Have you replaced the small transistors in the Y preamp?

You said the image was squished at the bottom right?  That's the monitor's bottom and not the bottom of the image you see in the mirror?  I'm trying to determine if we are talking about the positive supplied half of the screen or the negative supplied half.  Knowing that narrows it to just one TO-3 power transistor and fewer components in the Y amp.  For example, if it's the negative side, then focus on Q609 and if it's for sure okay, then move backwards to Q607 and check R615 isn't burned, check R616 and D608.  Also check D606 and D607.

If it's the positive half, then Q608, Q606, and Q605.

If the problem is further back even than that, then Q602, Q603, and Q604.

Very sorry I cannot be more specific.  You can try swapping a specific transistor in the Y amp with the same one in the X amp.  When you hit the right one, the squished bottom will become a squished side and you'll have found the problem.

As for the brightness issue, I don't know why it would be unstable unless there's a flakey pot or diode (R517, R514, D506.  Obviously Q504 or Q503 could have an issue.  Brightness is such a subtle thing, it's hard to scope it out because the Z drive is mainly working overall regardless of a small change in brightness.  I mean, the Z voltage will be lower if the beam is brighter but it doesn't have to be all that much lower to look just a bit too bright.  My first attempt to fix it would likely be to replace the two pots and the two transistors.  Since you said the contrast appeared wider (some lines are too bright, others too dim) on powerup, that might be pointing right at the contrast pot R517.  Does the contrast go back to normal after it warms up again or does it stay that way?

Bill Boucher
http://www.biltronix.com