Re: ZVG firmware / the future of ZVG

From: Zonn <mlists_at_zonn.com>
Date: Fri Apr 20 2012 - 20:41:01 EDT

I'm resending this because used the wrong email address, this might be a
double post.

-Zonn

On 4/20/2012 2:24 AM, Clay Cowgill wrote:
>> I'm going to publish the math used to generate these timing
>> tables, and the proper ending DAC values, along with the
>> code. It's the most important part of the generator.
>> Publishing the code without it wouldn't be that much more
>> helpful than a binary image.
>>
>> Let me know if you or Neil, would like to look at it before I
>> get the licensing worked out, and I'll send you the info.
> Actually, that is exactly what I have been putting off doing for a while
> now, so yeah-- I'd love to take a look at what you did because otherwise I
> was going to be doing a lot of brute-forcing my way through things and
> building big lookup tables and I was *not* looking forward to it. ;-) That
> is *literally* the next thing I was going to work on. I'd run out of other
> stuff to check out and that was the last big 'to-do' item...
>
> (So, massive Thanks In Advance for any help there-- hit me at
> c.cowgill@comcast.net whenever!)

A part of me wants to say: "Brute force? Yeah, good luck with that!" :-D

But heck, if I'm not going to make anymore ZVG's, it's pointless not to
publish the algorithms. It also shows prior art and keeps someone else
from patenting the changes I made to the Cinematronics VG. (Not that
anyone care's anymore about vector generators!)

Here's a pointer to what I've been calling "The Vector Generator Manifesto":

http://www.zektor.com/zvg/downloads/vgMath.txt

It explains the algorithms, and the math behind the algorithms, used by
the ZVG.

Since I never did the college thing, and didn't take any math courses in
High School, it probably shows my lack of math skills as well. On the
other hand it may make it easier to read, by the non-math inclined among us.

But whatever, the equations work, and they create endpoint perfect,
constant speed vectors. Something the original Cinematronics design was
incapable of doing.

-Zonn