Re: Messed up my Black Widow

From: Joel Rosenzweig <joel_at_helitronix.com>
Date: Sun Jul 01 2012 - 23:47:23 EDT

I think that because the board has what appears to be a direct short, we won't see any potential difference at any of the nodes. But as Rodger pointed out, whatever part is responsible for shorting out the board, has a good chance that it's getting hotter than all the rest, and it should show up either with a non contact thermal infrared thermometer, or using the method he described. You could probably use a video camera in "night vision" mode to view the infra red signature, but there might not be enough dynamic range to tell the difference between the shorted part running hot vs. the other parts. It's just something you'd have to try. At least the non contact thermal infrared thermometers are a commodity, and can be had for short money.

Joel