Re: Tempest resets at specific point in attract

From: andre <livnfree_can_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Jul 06 2012 - 12:56:47 EDT

Swapped the 1495's back in.. Verified one was dead in Y in socket closest to inside of pcb. Symptom was the entire image shifted down a half a screen when the dead one was put in the socket. voltages tested and solid. Took board back and re-soldered the connector pins for the wire harness, checked and verified continuity across the installed loom. It seemed to run ok when I first put boardset back in. I let it run again while doing other things and thought it might be solved. Went back after 10-15 minutes and it was doing the same resetting on the 'Tempest' screen. The clicking I verified as both coin counters counting 1 credit when it resets. Took board out and socketed the dac08. Grabbed a new one and put in socket, went back to storage to test it out. It does the same thing but started the reset immediately in the attract cycle and resets when the word 'tempest' is still very small. Usually it would take a few mintues running fine before it would start to reset. This time though when it resets it seems to let out a loud squawk like a partial low rom tone when it resets... every time. Old DAC-08 back in socket does the same thing. No chips are overly hot, or more than usual, as I thought before that the fact it took a while to start resetting might be thermal related. ________________________________ From: Kevin Moore <talon.k@gmail.com> To: vectorlist@vectorlist.org Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:30:22 AM Subject: Re: VECTOR: Tempest resets at specific point in attract That tempest text is generally a bad Dac08  Kevin On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Andre <livnfree_can@yahoo.com> wrote: Have a tempest pcb that played blind in a working cab. Found a couple pins touching between a cap and resistor by the y 1495's. Pulled the legs apart and screen came up, but entire image shifted half off bottom of screen. One of the 1495's was dead. Replaced and seems to work fine... but... > >In attract mode it does an odd thing. Everything looks ok until it gets to the screen where the word 'tempest' comes towards you. The roman numerals in front of the word 'atari' fade out to black, but the word atari is fine. When the word 'tempest' zooms towards you, the word trails do not fade out but stay on the screen so the entire mass of tempest words start to ripple severely.. by ripple its not a physical monitor ripple but a fade to black ripple.. actually looks like the ripple effect you see when you try and film or take a picture (the camera viewfinder image) of a running crt, but way worse. >As I let it cycle a couple times through attract watching what it did, it eventually just would reset when the tempest words shot out about 1/3 of the way. There is a coin door click and the attract is starting over instantly. Its not monitor or cab as works fine with original boardset. Any ideas? >-- >Sent from my Android phone.