Re: Tempest

From: Alan McCormick <weirdal1968_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Aug 20 2012 - 01:44:48 EDT

I've used countless methods to pull chips from boards (high end vacuum irons, molten solder fountain under the pcb, heat guns and snip-n-pick just to name a few) but the best I've found works great on double-sided PCBs and doesn't destroy the chip.

Get a nice controlled temp station (I use my old Metcal but that's serious overkill) and a tube style solder sucker. Heat up a leg from the component side and place the nozzle over the pin and hit the button on the sucker. It can be difficult to balance everything but the results are worth it. I've pulled 6821s from WMS sound boards in under 15 minutes without damaging the PCB or the chip.