Re: Re: Question for O-scope people out there…

From: Mark Shostak <shostakmark_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Sep 15 2012 - 11:28:45 EDT

Altan,

Not to be a fire hose (possibly literally), and it's great to learn
through experimentation, but not as much when there are knives in the
sandbox. With all due respect, you're playing in an area where best
case, you may destroy your scope, and worst case you could get hurt.

If you really want to hook your scope to the "line" (when you find
it), I suggest you buy a device specifically designed to make that
happen. I've used one made by Oneac, and you can probably find them on
ebay (I was using them in the '80s, so they're probably cheap). It has
an IEC connector on one end and BNCs on the other, doing exactly what
you're asking about.

You'll also need a scope with a lot of storage, possibly more than
exists. A lot of waves go by at 60Hz while waiting for an event. An
alternative would be to see if you can find a recording line monitor,
which will capture these events. I suspect this is more of what you're
looking for (as opposed to what you're asking for). Again, in the '80s
they just printed on register tape, and now probably usb stick or
something. Look and you can probably find one cheap. This will take a
lot of the time and effort out of the adventure, and provide
information more useful to what you are trying to accomplish. Granted,
it may not be as entertaining as connecting your scope ground lead to
"the line". :-)

My 2 credits*

Thanks,
-Mark

* - w/ credit to whomever came up with that line