Re: Question for O-scope people out thereā€¦

From: Luke Dyson <xzxluke_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Sep 16 2012 - 20:41:25 EDT

You definitely need isolation probes to measure direct AC (the line) from the wall outlet. There are many reasons but the biggest is your safety. Ā  I had a BK Precision 20 MHz scope that wouldn't have handled the 120 AC (300+V p-p) with a 1:1 probe, needed like a 10:1 or something greater, or the inputs would have fried. I think my Fluke Combiscope will handle it but I haven't had a need to check it. Ā  Do you feel like you have transient spikes on your line or something?