Tempest WG6100 Blows F700

From: Kirk Spradling <kspradling_at_kc.rr.com>
Date: Wed Oct 10 2012 - 19:38:58 EDT

I was experiencing random garbage on my Tempest so I pulled the boards out,
removed the solder from the interboard connectors and resoldered them. I
put the board back into the machine and F700 blows instantly. I have
replaced ALL Q70x series including the chassis mounted transistors and it
still blows F700. I have disconnected the edge connectors from the game
board and it blows F700. I connected my Oscope to the game board X/Y and it
displays the game and test screens perfectly with the same scale in X and Y.
LV2000 installed years ago. Transistors all test good and no shorts to
chassis. First version of the deflection board with no imput protection
installed. Spot killer lit.

I'm pretty sure that it is related to the game board repair however I am at
a loss as to what is going on since it blows without the game board.

The 6100 Faq doesn't mention much about blowing the deflection fuses. I
guess I should start taking some measurements on the deflection board itself
to see where I am getting the full-on signal. Pull the X amplifier
connector and check some readings. I guess I had better look at the
schematic again.

The diodes test ok as well. Guess I will start on the resistors.

Thanks in advance...

Kirk S.