RE: AD561JN DAC compatibility

From: Bill Karkula <sociableone_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Oct 30 2012 - 11:27:04 EDT

Interesting - going back quite a few years for me - going from memory here -
Ceramic packages were used for better moisture resistance, thermal
conductivity and mechanical stability. In very high gain amplifiers, you
could actually induce a piezoelectric effect by squeezing or stressing the
pcb the plastic DIP package was attached - ceramic packaging was the
solution. Also, "parameter shift" for certain specs was greater for plastic
encapsulated versus ceramic packaged parts due to the molding stress that
was applied. But that would not be a factor to an end user as the parts had
already been tested and graded. But then again, over extended time, could
the plastic package stress be a factor?

>From my personal experience, I have not seen a difference on the boards that
I have repaired used vintage plastic or ceramic AD561s - but then my sample
size of a dozen and a half or so could be too small.

I'd be interested in the vintage of the parts that were used. Were they new
or old?

Bill