Re: Anyone have a dump of the Atari Quantum 82s153 / CF2038N address decoder logic at location 1B ?

From: William Boucher <wboucher6_at_cogeco.ca>
Date: Sat Nov 17 2012 - 17:37:53 EST

Unfortunately, I don't think it's quite that simple. That chip is not a
bipolar prom that you can simply read data out of by applying all possible
addresses. It's a old style programmable logic array, sort of like PAL,
PLD, FPGA. With respect to today's simpler devices, one would write logic
equations or draw the equivelent logic circuit and a compiler would then
produce a jedec file that the programmer would then use to program the chip.
I don't know whether such a programmer can read that info back out of the
chip. I doubt it. That's why it's usually difficult to reverse engineer
such a thing. If I'm wrong about that, then fantastic. If one were to
study a working chip, say by connecting a logic analyzer to a working
Quantum and capturing the waveforms on the pins, it probably wouldn't be too
hard to figure out exactly what it's doing. Any modern SPLD chip could
easily be used to replace the device if one were so inclined. Also, the
pinout of the chip (according to the datasheet) looks super generic so there
are probably other PAL/GAL/SPLD devices that could be used as pin for pin
replacements.

However, that's not a lot of help right now I know, but consider that KLOV
member Riptor was selling newly programmed replacement chips with parts kits
for the Tronic repro Quantum PCBs. I suggest contacting him. Obviously, he
has what you are looking for or at least he knows who does.

William Boucher
http://www.biltronix.com