Modern replacements / xref for deflection transistors

From: Ian Eure <ieure_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri Nov 23 2012 - 02:27:49 EST

I managed to fry a G05 board pretty well. I swapped this working board into a dead monitor to test, turns Q608 & Q709 had been swapped and R718 caught fire. Also as it happens, someone had replaced F700 on this deflection board with a 10A fuse, so while F600 blew and the Y section is likely fine, a bunch of stuff in the X section got fried.

It looks to me like R718, R713, Q705, and Q706 at least are dead.

Q705 is just a 2N3906, which I can get anywhere, but Q706 looks harder to come by. While I was digging around the internet, I found this incredibly great list of V2000/G05 transistors with some cross references: http://westnet.com/~chris/arcade/g05_transistor_list.pdf Unfortunately, this list is a good 13 years old itself, so the parts it suggests are obsolete as well.

I went looking around and MPSU57 is long discontinued, as is SK3200 and the "upgrade" NTE50 part. NTE189 is the modern replacement for NTE50, but seem to be extremely expensive ($30) when they can be found at all. I found some folks saying they had successfully substituted MPSA56 for MPSU57, as well as MPSA05 for the MPSU07 at Q607/Q707.

Has anyone successfully substituted those parts? Looking at the datasheets, it seems like the tolerances are somewhat lower, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I have a few boards I want to work through, so having some of these on hand will be a big help.