Star Wars object issues

From: Alan McCormick <weirdal1968_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Dec 10 2012 - 21:52:00 EST

The attract mode with the scrolling text appears fine and the sound works perfectly. Even the wave select screen looks normal. Unfortunately TIE fighters/fireballs/starfield objects are FUBARed. During the TIE fighter sequence all the ships and fireballs appear at 0,0 (which makes it stupidly easy to kill them). They blink in and out of view at seemingly random angles and sizes. The starfield also pops in and out. During the trench sequence everything is squished into the middle of the X axis and it is apparently impossible to hit the exhaust port. I ran the self test hoping it would give me a hint but alas it couldn't find any mathbox or matrix errors. Even the scaling tests were perfect.

Video on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsoUcedoV-8

I've swapped out the mathbox PROMs with ESB PROMs with no change. The AVG IC is known to be good and I'm pretty sure the SRAMs on the video board are good as well.

While I've fixed PCB problems on Tempests, Battlezones and Space Duels in the past, this one is going to be a tough nut to crack. Any suggestions for what to check next?