RE: Tech Tip - Cinematronics SPACE WARS monitor critical upgrade!

From: Jonathan Koolpe <jkoolpe_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu Jan 03 2013 - 02:06:12 EST

While we're on the subject of Cinematronics monitors...

I have a Star Castle on loan from a friend. It works fine but for one oddity:

When the machine is first powered on, the vectors are very scattered and skewed...but usually after about 5-15 minutes, they "settle" down and the picture is fine...very clear and crisp in fact. My friend (the owner) said that this is the way this monitor has always been since he picked up the machine (from Zonn Moore no less :) ).

But the other night I had the game on for a couple of hours, and the vectors never quite settled down all the way. The game was still playable, and the center of the screen was fine, but as your ship would move to the edges of the screen, the vectors would still break apart (for lack of a better description). The text on the score screen was also somewhat off even after the couple of hours.

I'm thinking maybe it was the fact that it's winter and my garage is cold...but I'm in California (near San Francisco) so it's not that cold...say in the upper 40s when I had the game on the other day...

I have never worked on a Cinematronics monitor before...is there anything I can try to possibly fix this problem?

Jon