Re: Wells Gardner 6100 issue in my Black Widow!

From: Grant Thienemann <grant.thienemann_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jan 13 2013 - 00:00:14 EST

Hey Guys,

I want to respond to this and let everyone know this was solved,
though I'm not 100% sure what fixed it, I have a good idea though.

I went out an googled the WG6100 FAQ and made my own "kit" to
upgrade/fix/rebuild my WG6100, which included everything from Caps,
resistors, transistors, and diodes.

I spent about 4 hours today rebuilding the chassis, taking my time to
make sure everything was done correctly. In doing so I noticed a
couple of things about this monitor:

1st: It was missing the R903 resistor in the HV cage. This is what I
think caused my blooming.
2nd: The flyback was oblivious new but it was BARELY soldered onto the HV PCB
3rd: Whoever rebuild this chassis only replaced the caps that had gone
bad, and nothing else.
4th: The chassis actually already had the LV6100 installed, so I now
have two spare LV2000 lites, probably not a bad thing
5th: The replacement caps where made by CDE which I've heard multiple
people complain about.

When I did all the recommended upgrades in the FAQ I noticed item 1
and installed a resistor there. It's interesting you could see where
there was still solder there from the original resistor. In putting
everything together to fix my WG6100, I ordered only Panasonic caps
for this chassis, yes it drive up the cost, but it was well worth in
my opinion, I figure if your going to fix it, do it right and invest
in parts that will work on the long haul.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future. I did mess up on
thing, I stupidly mess with R918 the HV adjustment pot, but I had just
gotten a Fluke 77 with a HV 40K Probe, so I finally got to use that
tonight, what was . . . interesting, and a bit terrifying if I'm
honestly, but I was able to dial the WG6100.

Thanks
Grant