Re: Quantum help needed

From: Douglas Gauck <douglas_at_gauck.com>
Date: Mon Apr 01 2013 - 00:38:06 EDT

I don't think the differences around the MC1495s are the cause of the problem, as varying the pincushion correction shouldn't detach the vectors from one another. I was just curious about the deviations.

DP-190 are the Tempest Schematics. Jed's site is has "The Secret Life of XY Monitors" at http://www.jmargolin.com/xy/xymon.htm plus lots of other interesting stuff.

I haven't checked every component but the AVG output section between Quantum and Tempest schematics are very close, but not the same. Same DACs, reference and BIP circuits but again the different resistor values in the pincushion correction circuit.

As I understand it the Amplifone has pincushion correction engineered into the yoke. I believe Quantum, like earlier games, was designed around the WG6100 (although it may have shipped with both).

There is info out there for disabling the onboard pincushion correction circuitry - I believe it's on ionpool as someone once did it after putting an Amp in their Tempest cab. Maybe just interrupting the XCOR and YCOR signals between the MC1495s?

Quantum has some nice test screens - both a square grid and a diagonal grid which will hopefully be of help in tracking this down.