G08 working...but...

From: Jonathan Koolpe <jkoolpe_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat Apr 13 2013 - 19:58:35 EDT

Question for the G08 folks:

I managed to pick up and fix another G08. Did a full rebuild with new caps, transistors, etc., reflowed solder at all the key points, and also replaced some very smoked parts on one of the paddle boards. The picture looks great now and it seems stable (knock on wood!), but there are two minors issue remaining:

1) The picture won't quite stretch the full width of the screen. It seems to get clipped on the right side by maybe an inch or so, but if I try to adjust it out further, it just won't go beyond a certain point. It also looks like it's bowing (as I understand the term...the picture concaves inward slightly) just a bit on that side if I try to adjust the width to the point where it starts to get clipped.

I dialed it in so it still looks pretty good actually and is certainly very playable...just a little downsized is all.

I did try putting in a new IC600 (picked up some of these NOS recently) as I found an old post that had a similar problem that was fixed with another IC600, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

2) I also did have to turn the brightness down all the way. Again, the picture looks fine, but I wonder if this might be a problem in the future. I did reflow the solder to the pot, and the resistor in line with the width pot reads OK in circuit.

Any ideas on either of these minor issues?

Thanks,

Jon