Re: How do i check the clock circuit?

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue Sep 24 2013 - 14:48:17 EDT

On 09/24/2013 11:20 AM, Joel Griffin Dodd wrote:
> Thanks Ed.
>
> So far I have verified all voltages on the PSU and AR2 boards and they
> all fall within the required specs.
>
> Next I do indeed plan to make my way through all of the socketed chips
> for cleaning and reseating.

I'd invest in a Logic Probe for your first tool. There might even be one
built-in to your DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter). This will either use
blinking lights/LEDs or beeps/chirps to indicate the presence of digital
signal (High/Low) on the trace in question.

I find the old HeathKit logic probes to be the best, although I have a
pile of Kurz-Kasch probes that we also use when the HK probes are all
hiding.

Read up on using Logic Probe, heck there are kits to make your own
(great practice!). It is the first tool I had years ago and it is still
one of the first I turn to for checking things like Clock, Reset, and
other critical signals.

As I went on I got a few more tools...and even started a mail list on
tech tools. Which seems to be mostly Fluke gear these days - but that is
another story.

John :-#)#

                  www.flippers.com