Re: Star Wars 25 inch Amplifone issue

From: Ken Sumrall <k_lists_at_scrapheap.net>
Date: Fri Sep 27 2013 - 14:41:22 EDT

And Rodger guessed correctly. Sad face for me. :-(

After probing around with a scope, and checking signals, it became clear
something was going on in the tube. So we swapped the blue and green
drive wires in the connector, and powered it back up. If the issue was
with the electronics driving the tube, we expected the overall gree hue
would become blue. And if the problem was in the tube, it would stay
green. And it stayed green.

After some research, we found this:

   http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_monfaqa.html#MONFAQA_002

And it looks like our three choices are:
1. Tap the neck (gently) with the crt face down and try to dislodge the short.

2. Try blowing the short out (with a current pulse), but this risks blowing out
the heater filament too. I have a Sencore CR-70 which I recently acquired, but
I've not yet powered it on. And the manual says it doesn't clear heater-cathode
shorts because it can blow out the filament too.

3. Remove the ground reference from the filament and float it.

The last option sounds intriguing. Does anyone think this is a bad idea?
Do I need to worry about improving insulation on the heater winding or wires to
the CRT? IIRC, the cathodes are only about 180 volts, so I think the insulation
on the wires will be sufficient. Will the floated voltage on the wires affect
other coils in the flyback? If so, we could create a separate power supply for
the heater.

Comments? Suggestions?

___
Ken