RE: Laser projectors for vector games?

From: Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat Nov 23 2013 - 04:27:21 EST

I bet that you could make a usable CRT vector projector from something like an Electrohome 8000 or 9000 series projector. They sweep plenty fast and are super bright and the electronics inside are quite modular (separate H and V drivers, focus, image correction, etc. boards). They're also massive and pretty expensive still though. (...and you'd probably need to wind custom yokes to get really good performance.)

I've wondered too on laser projectors if it'd work to have two lasers with separate deflection setups for vector game stuff. The nice part about emulation being that you can manipulate the draw list as necessary, so having two "pretty good" sets of galvos (with duplicate lasers) might be better than one "excellent" galvo setup (and cheaper). Simple algorithm might be to just have each unit draw every other line. When one's drawing the other is slewing to the next starting point. Converging might be annoying...

-Clay