Re: New Irobot owner

From: Jeff Anderson <mayday19_at_idt.net>
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 09:08:22 EDT

The Atari switcher CAN be a nightmare, simply because sometimes it likes
to really go out with a bang.. I had one Atari switcher that blew up the
switching transistors, half-wave rectifiers, and blew up & shot several
large caps right off the board. It seems like a "tight" design, I'm sure a
recap would be a good idea. They really arent all that hard to fix, it
just uses some odd parts.. They do seem fairly reliable though, I have had
no problems for a good 3 years with 2 of those supplies. Only I,Robot and
some Firefoxes used it.

Is your original switcher wired in to the monitor still? If so you must
have a fairly simple problem with it. If there is any reason the PS is
shutting down the +5, it will shut down the monitor also. I dont know if
it will still turn on the monitor is +5 is not present (I'm just trying to
figure out why you have 2 supplies in there).. The Atari switcher is a
goofy setup to say the least, but I really like the "soft start" feature.

I'm unaware of the wrong error codes in the self-test mode.. If anybody
knows this please let me know and I'll note them on my I,Robot webpage...
I'm about to update it, started working on it 2 days ago.. (only been 3
years :). I'll probably load some new pages later today, and finish it up
by the end of the week..

The video RAM problems will not affect power-up, but I think its a safe
bet you'll have to replace them anyway. Every I,Robot I've seen has bad
V RAM. You may not notice when you are playing, so as a test hit fire to
cycle through attract mode screens quickly. If the screen isnt refreshing
properly you need to replace the RAM.

I recommend finding a Hall Effect stick from any other Atari game to
stick in your I,Robot.. The original I,Robot sticks suck and require
constant tweaking.

(Tom M. I'll get the stick numbers for you soon)

Would there be any interest in reproing the control panel stickers? I
think somebody did it about 3 years ago, but I need a few sets for now and
the future..

Jeff