Re: New Irobot owner

From: Jeff Anderson <mayday19_at_idt.net>
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 09:43:01 EDT

> Another big problem with the Atari one is the weight. It has that massive
> heat sink and inductors that weigh a ton...mounting this veritcally puts a
> lot of stress on those guys and could lead to problems...

Naw, no need to worry unless the board gets hot enough to melt solder :>

> That switching PS provides all the functions of an isolation transformer,
> degaussing circuitry (remember, these games used that garbage DISCO
> Trashifone (Amplifone) monitor, audio amplification, and voltage

The amplifone raster monitor is different than the Disco monitor..
Personally I like the Disco monitor, it has a nice tube. The
Amplifone raster monitors look similar to the vector amplifones in that
there is no chassis, the board is mounted to the side of the cabinet.
I,Robot didnt ship with the amplifone, but Firefox did so your I,Robot
may have the Amplifone mount still in place.

> Again, I had read these things were crap...also, you're going to want to
> tie some of the supply voltages directly to the board (there are TP lugs
> that allow you to easily do this). I, Robot draws a lot of current and
> the tiny edge supply paths are inadequate (i.e. you see a lot of burned up
> edge connectors). They form a bottleneck almost...if I am not mistaken,
> this acts like a resistor, gets hot, and burns.

Yeah I had all this noted on my page.. all I,Robot owners who use their
game often and run the Atari switcher should run extra leads from
the test points on the boards to the PS. The connector gets pretty warm
otherwise. If the edge connector is dirty the PS will try to dump up to 6
volts on the boards, and then shut down.

> Great game! Too bad there weren't more...maybe you could hack your HE
> joystick into your PC and play John Manfreda's emulator :)! He did an
> awesome job...incredible speen on even "low-end" machines like my P233.

Well the HE sticks basically have the same output as an analog stick, so
its probably easily do-able.

Jeff