Re: Questions about Medium Res monitor chassis

From: Matt J. McCullar <mccullar_at_flash.net>
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 21:50:22 EDT

Jess Askey wrote:

> The 'flatline' switch is some sort of diagnostic switch. It basically shuts off the
> vertical deflection. Im not sure why you would want to do that tho. I have seen it on
> other monitors as well, nintendo monitors for example have it.

It's often done to adjust color balance. When I worked in a Sears TV
repair shop, the manuals told us to go through this procedure. We hit
the "Service" switch which turned off the vertical deflection, and
ajusted the color guns for pure white. I guess it was easier to do it
this way, since we didn't have a pattern generator to hook up and just
used a blank raster.

Matt J. McCullar
Arlington, TX