Re: Missile Command ROM hack?

From: Doug Jefferys <dougj_at_hwcn.org>
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 17:45:04 EDT

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Rodger Boots wrote:

> Or maybe even drop into DOS on your computer and type the line
>
> COPY ROM1+ROM2+ROM3+ROM4 BIGROM
>
> where the individual names are the individual ROM files and BIGROM is
> the resulting combined file. With any luck you'd end up with one
> large file (check the size of the file to see if it assembled correctly).

Nitpick: COPY /B file.1 + ... + file.n big.rom

The /B tells it to do a binary copy - DOS uses ^Z (Ctrl-Z) as an
end-of-file marker, and gets confused in text mode.

In text mode (COPY), if the file *contains* a ^Z, nothing happens, but if
a file *ends* with a ^Z, the ^Z is dropped. It confused the hell outa me
the first time I tried concatenating ROMs where one file just happened to
end in a ^Z, until I actually looked at what the concatenated file
contained.

In binary mode (COPY /B), this problem never occurs, and a trailing ^Z is
treated correctly, resulting in a correctly-concatenated ROM.

Later,
Doug.

--
 dougj   |