RE: RE: Pac repair

From: Ranger Mike <mike_ranger_at_dofasco.ca>
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 15:16:21 EST

Dave and all
        In the sprit of the list (notice my attempts to get some tech stuff
on the raster list :-) here is what I do when working on pacs (and I've done
quite a few in the last year).

The Pac files are located at www.erols.com/mowerman

Bench:
        Monitor : mine is a nec multisync II , on a recomendation from that
elusive Doug J - hey where is your page gone?
        Switcher: Mainly use the +5 volts and ground. Will use the +12 for
sound testing
        Speaker : Nuff said
        Clip Clip leads: Never have enough...
        test equipment: see above.

        I have a hokey little set up where I use the edge connector for the
monitor, and the speakers, as well as the test pin or any other pin I need
to get at.
        I inject 5 volts DC to the little loopie thing beside the big heat
sink. This is on the 5 volt rail, and it ment to be able to clip to isolate
the regulation from the board. I leave it in tact. I clip ground from the
PS to the outboard side of one of the big caps (you know the two just below
the big heatsink). This allows me to get the board out of the bench pretty
quickly, and move it over to the soldering station. The problem with this
set up , is that the clips make it cumbesome at best to inspect the
underside of the board when installed.

        When the logic is all working, I clip 12 volts to the left side D4
to test the sound. When I am happy with everything, I put the board in my
ms pac cocktail to see if the power regulation works on AC, as well as test
the controls on both sides and improve my pac playing skills (which, by the
way, suck)

Does this help much?

If anyone wants any more info, feel free to ask.

If anyone need some more spelling mistakes, I'm your man :-)

Mike Ranger -in-the-snow-

(P.S. I love my new CR-V, 4wd in the white stuff is cool, and I can fit an
omega race cabaret in there!)