Gottlieb RAM question

From: Tom McClintock <tomm_at_mgcap.com>
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 18:42:54 EDT

I've got a Gottlieb Krull board which I inadvertently broken a pin off
of one of the SRAM chips. I guess I could solder on a wire, but I'd
rather just replace it with a new chip . However, these are the MK4801
(4118) 1,024 x 8 SRAMs (24-pin dip) which don't seem to be too common.
I can't seem to find them anywhere (at least not cheaply). And besides,
these Mostek chips are ALWAYS tarnished and corroded. There must be a
better replacement!

I was examining one of my Bootleg Q*Bert boards, and sure enough, the
bootleggers replaced the Mostek MK4801 (4118) SRAMs with 6116s. Both
SRAMs are pin compatible with 2716 EPROMs, although the 4801s are 8K,
the 6116s are 16K. Great! So I replaced my ailing 4801s with the 6116s.
Doesn't work....

So, I go back to the datasheets for both chips. The datasheet I have for
the 4801 shows pin 19 as "Ar" which is the select reference input. The
same pin on the 6116 is only labeled ôA10ö û an address input.

Should I be lifting pin 19 on the 6116 and tie that to another pin
somewhere to get this SRAM to act like the 4801? Or can I even
substitute a 16K RAM for an 8K?

Question, questionsà

tom