Diagnosing a Stratovox Board

From: Matt Rossiter <rossiter_at_ni.net>
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 04:51:45 EDT

My Stratovox is starting to have some problems. I'm guessing there's something wrong with the program RAM. In attract mode it runs fine and I can put credits in, but once I start playing I get garbage on the screen and the game resets. I've verified the roms are good by doing sumchecks with my Data I/O programmer (except for ls07 and ls08).

I've tried hooking the game board up to my Fluke 9010a and running LEARN to see if it would pick up the memory location for RAM. On the side with the dip switches and the volume pot (G) - I can see the memory locations for ROM and RAM and it passes all tests, but on the opposite board (T) - it doesn't see RAM at all. So I got the memory map from MAME source. I can't seem to run any kind of ram tests on board (T) using the memory map below.

CPU1

 0000-2fff ROM
 4000-43ff Shared RAM
 8000-bfff Video RAM

CPU2

 0000-1fff ROM
 4000-43ff Shared RAM
 8000-bfff Video RAM

Has anyone else tried troubleshooting these kind of taito boards with the Fluke 9010a? Just looking for suggestions. I assume I'm doing something wrong.

Matt