Re: Stratovox Board Problem

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Sat Jul 12 2003 - 14:20:51 EDT

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:49:17 -0700, you wrote:

>This game runs fine in attract mode. It'll even run for hours with no
>problem. It takes credits, it makes sounds, it runs happily along. The
>symptom for this game problem is simple. If I hit player1 or player2 - the
>game resets. It doesn't matter if there are credits in the game or not -
>the game simply resets when I hit either button. I'm sure there's a simple
>solution to this game - but for some reason I'm not getting it.
>Suggestions?

        Is this in a cabinet, or on a test bench? If it's a cabinet, first
thing I would do is take a close look at the wiring harness going up to
your control panel; make _very_ sure that you don't have a wire pinched in
between two bits of metal (such as the coin door or the control panel
latches) that happen to be grounded -- believe it or not, I've had several
games recently with similar symptoms, and that's what it's turned out to
be.

        Also check the bottom of your PC boards and make sure you don't have a
component lead folded over far enough to touch something it shouldn't be.
(Happens more often than you'd think, mostly because the manufacturers
didn't trim the leads adequately to begin with, or someone before you has
repaired the board in the past and didn't trim the leads at all.)
"In ancient times, they believed that there were only four kinds of matter:
Earth, Water, Air, and Fire. Nowadays, of course, we know that there are
actually four states of matter: Solid, Liquid, Gas, and Plasma. Thank God
for progress!" ---(Kelvin Throop III)