Re: LM354

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 03:58:26 EST

SteveT wrote:

>Anyone have the spec. sheet on LM354. It's used in old midway 8080
>games. Seems it's not easy to find .
>And before anyone asks, that is the correct number.
>
>Steve

Looked all over for this, no such part. Then found out there IS a LF354
and I'm thinking that this is what you have.

A long, long, LONG time ago, when National first came out with FET input
opamps, they had the LM (Linear Monolythic) preface. Later the LF
(Linear FET) and LH (Linear Hybrid) numbers were used. I can't prove
it, but I do remember something about that WAY back when. So I suspect
your LM354 was a very early LF354.

So now all you need is a spec sheet for the LF354. Can't find one
anywhere. National doesn't have one online, PartMiner doesn't have one,
the database search link from Ionpool.net doesn't have one, and Jameco
doesn't have it either. It doesn't even show up in the old National
Linear Data book.

But it DOES show up in the 1978 National Data Acquisition book as a
"Wide Bandwidth Dual JFET Input Operational Amplifier". It is shown
there as being in a 14 pin DIP with the following pinout:

Pin
        Function
 1
        Inverting input A
 2
        Non-inverting input A
 3
        Offset null A
 4
        V-
 5
        Offset null B
 6
        Non-inverting input B
 7
        Inverting input B
 8
        Offset null B
 9
        V+B (same as pin 13)
10
        Output B
11
        (no connection)
12
        Output A
13
        V+A (same as pin 9)
14
        Offset null A

It is supposedly pin compatible with the LM747, but way better specs.
Basic specs are:

Slew rate of 13 Volts per microsecond
Input offset voltage of under 10 mV, offset current of under 100 picoamps
Input bias current of under 200 picoamps
Input resistance of 10,000,000 megohms
Voltage gain of typically 100,000
Supply current of under 6.5 milliamps
Gain bandwidth product of typically 4 MHz
low noise

If you need more than that I'll have to get a scanner hooked up, let me
know.