RE: monitor swapping and tube cross reference?

From: Sean McLachlan <sean_at_lithoflexo.com>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 15:22:15 EDT

On Tuesday, June 08, 2004 11:23 AM, owner-rasterlist@vectorlist.org <>
sprang to life and wrote:

> My question is, does the neck board go with the tube or go with the
> chassis?

I have always left the neck board with the chassis, but then again I only
swap a G07 chassis with another G07, or a 4600 with another 4600. I do
remember reading about a guy who plugged a G07 into a WG 4600 and blew the
chassis. Someone followed up with a post saying that the WG yokes are high
impedance and Electrohome's need low impedance, or vice versa. In any case,
I got the impression you could not plug any old chassis into any old yoke
and have it work. That's why I just swap like for like.

> Lastly, working with monitors from old broken down neglected games is
> FILTHY! I've hosed down monitors before with no problems, but I'd be
> interested to here any others thoughts on it.

I haven't yet had the guts to get out the garden hose. I used compressed
air regulated to about 30 psi to blow the monitor and chassis off, then I
brush the stubborn dust/dirt off with a 1 inch wide soft paintbrush that has
bristles about 3 inches long. I have a wider paintbrush I use on the tube
and metal mounting assembly. Wipe the tube down with a little Windex, hit
it again with compressed air and it's pretty clean. It doesn't take off
that film that is sometimes on the flyback.

Does a pretty good job, doesn't take off the stickers and there is no drying
time.

Sean McLachlan Salt Lake City, Utah
rgvac@classi-find.net Video Game N00b since 2/2001