Stern boards acid damage repair offer? (Frenzy/Berzerk)

From: joemagiera <joemagiera_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 15:04:35 EST

Hi all,

I doubt I'll get many (any?) takers on this, but here goes...

I have 3 Frenzy ZPU1001 CPUs, 1 Berserk ZPU1000 CPU, and 2 VFB1000 boards
with bad acid damage. I won't say unfixable, but I'm sure it will be tedius
and time consuming. I do believe the boards are complete otherwise. I also
have one SB1000 sound board used in either game with several bad IC's.

If anyone might be up for a challenge of fixing these, I'd be glad to work
out some deal with them. Either for cash or repair one, keep one, if that
type of deal might interest you. Or some combination of that. I'll also
pay for shipping both ways.

FYI, just in case it might peek your interest, the Berserk ZPU was hacked to
run Frenzy. Here's a cut and paste from someone who knows way more than me
when I asked him if he thought it would work:

>"The modified board was interesting but man was there a lot of wiring and
trace cutting. It looks like someone just copied the decoder PROM and all
the Eproms from a Frenzy board and then modified the Berzerk board using
the schematic from the Frenzy. The decoder PROM is almost completely
rewired. It must have been time consuming!"

Let me know if you are up for a soldering/desoldering challenge.

Joe
joemagiera@ameritech.net