Re: Atari Big Blue(s)?

From: Brad Gass <bradg_at_mnns.com>
Date: Tue Oct 02 2007 - 20:54:01 EDT

Also, remember that many/most of the Midway games used a ferroresonant
power supply system - that's what the oblong silver high voltage capacitor
in the transformer chassis is for.

I've not ever seen one of the resonant capacitors go bad, so I would
generally avoid messing with it if the bulk DC supply is OK :)

More on ferroresonance at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_regulator#AC_voltage_stabilizers

Pretty cool design feature when you think about it - helps to "bullet
proof" the game from issues in the field. Even if it does make the
cabinet 50lbs heavier than it needs to be nowadays!

Brad