Re: Tron progress made (yay)

From: Brad Gass <bradg_at_mnns.com>
Date: Mon Oct 29 2007 - 18:42:34 EDT

I believe it's ROM error "D6" - not "06".

That would indicate the chip located at D6, and the error is caused by
either the LS138 decoder (from memory), a bad socket/connection, or a bad
EPROM. If you're getting multiple ROM errors, it could also be the octal
buffer ahead of the EPROM bank.

I went through this exact issue earlier this summer, and cleaned
the EPROM contacts with a pencil eraser, replaced the EPROM socket, and
decoder only to eventually figure out that the EPROM was suffering from
bit-rot.

The EPROM checksummed right, and compared right, board voltage(s) were
good (5.07Vdc at the chip) but just was not reading up to par on the
board. I programmed a new one, and it's worked fine ever since. First
time for everything I guess.

On replacing sockets - it's relatively easy if you take the right
approach. I (GENTLY!) pry the plastic carrier away from the pins leaving
the pins alone in the board. If you use a small screwdriver, for the love
of Pete don't pry against neighboring chips, and if/when prying against
the board, have something between the tool and the board (electrical tape,
a small piece of cereal box cardboard, whatever) to protect the traces
from damage. In the case of a non-socketed IC, cut the pins right
next to the package body with a flush-cutter, or Dremel, and the rest of
the procedure is the same.

Then, just heat each solder joint and pull the pins out with a tweezers.
Clean the holes out with solder wick or a solder sucker, and drop a new
socket in place.

I usually clean the area up with a Q-Tip soaked in Acetone to get the
gunk off before I solder a new component in place - I'm a little picky
that way :)

Brad