Tron lives!

From: EvilJim <eviljim13_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue Nov 06 2007 - 18:30:20 EST

Programmed a new D6 (as well as Tim's freeplay hack for D2) and the game
has come alive. Hooray...for the most part. =)

Program seems to run fine, the freeplay addition is doing it's bit, what
sounds I have heard are clear-ish.
On to the next hurdle...no response out of the control panel at all.
Since it was completely dead, I started by checking the switches for
function, all seem to still be good. Next step was to look at the schem.

It appears that the switches are hardware de-bounced, being grounded on
activation of the switch. They don't appear to actually go to ground,
as the setup looks something like a voltage divider when the switch is
closed...but drops enough to activate the logic.
So I poked around some more, voltage seems to be good up to the molex in
the harness, but nothing once connected to the control panel. At this
afternoon's reading, it was unclear how voltage actually got to the leaf
switches, if it came from the SSIO or through the +5/+12 onto the
encoder board.

Am I looking at another short, somewhere in the CP? Is there a common
failure on the SSIO pcb that leads to this behavior? I will have the
boards out again tomorrow and start digging into this, but seeing Tron
actually on the screen really feels great.

Thanks for all the help so far, it looks like we may actually get this
puppy up and running for sure. =)