Re: Need some help with an Atari Switching Power Supply

From: teeray <teeray_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed Jul 09 2008 - 17:46:40 EDT

To test this power supply you must have a load on the 5 volt supply.
With out a load it will not function correctly.

On the test bench check R54 and R55 to make sure they are OK
Then connect a jumper across R54 (make R54 a short) and another jumper across R55.
Connect two Auto #1156 bulbs ( 12 volt car brake light bulbs ) to the
5 volt supply (J6 pin 10 for +) and (J6 pin 14) for ground.
These bulbs should be in parallel with one another.
This will give a load of about 2 amps.

The 5 volt supply is the only one that needs a load.
The -31.5 , +15 , and +145 will all function correctly with just
a load on the +5 volt supply.

Power on the supply and start checking with a scope.

If it is still in shutdown mode. Power it off and
>From what you have said I would start with the -31.5 supply
To check the audio section just remove L6 then power up
to see if it works. If it works then audio section is bad.
If not check BR4, R42, R43, C29, and C31

If still not working check CR8 and CR9.
Then tell us the voltage at the following locations
U2 pin 6
U2 pin 7
U2 pin 1
U2 pin 4