Atari System 1 Indy Jones speech missing, music bad, all fixed, follow up log

From: Joe Magiera <joemagiera_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Thu Feb 12 2009 - 22:15:03 EST

Follow up to my post. Thanks for the suggestions. I noticed that Road
Blasters has the TMS5220 chip. I pop the Road Blasters cartridge into my
cabinet and in self test, all sounds, including speech work fine. This
verified that my main board was good. I swap out the TMS5220 from the known
good Road Blasters to the Indy Jones. Same problem, no speech. Just on a
hunch, well more like I didn't have anything better to do, I swap the 6522
that sits right next to the TMS5220 from the known good Road Blasters to the
Indy Jones and bingo, problem solved, speech. The TMS5220 was good after
all.

I also found the "music bad" problem I was having were the notes weren't
playing like MAME. One of the transistors on the Audio/Reg board was out,
so I was only getting sound out of one speaker, which in self test, I
skipped every other note, so MAME was playing 16 and on my game I was only
getting 8. Swapped audio regs and problem solved (yes I know I could
replace the transistor, but easier and quicker to just swap the whole board
and tag the bad one with the problem).

Thanks for the help and pointers you guys.

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)

joemagiera@ameritech.net

  _____