Spy Hunter help

From: Rich Gopstein <rich_at_ourowndomain.com>
Date: Thu Sep 03 2009 - 21:52:44 EDT

A neighbor recently got a Spy Hunter upright which is not working. I get
to fix it...

The monitor is ok. I reseated all of the socketed chips and
interconnection cables. The power is clean and the voltages are ok.

On powerup, the display cycles rapidly between a few non-game screens
including a crosshatch pattern. No sounds, nothing game-like appears. No
blinking lights on the CP.

 From the little bit of documentation I found, it isn't clear if the CPU
board even does any diagnostics. There appear to be diag switch settings
on the sound board, but not the CPU board.

I'll have to dig out my EPROM programmer to check the CPU board EPROMS.

It's a pain to test since the CPU board is sandwiched in between the
video and sound boards. Does anyone know if the game will run at all
with only the CPU board connected? That would make testing easier.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rich