Re: Flyback Troubleshooting help

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_askey.org>
Date: Tue Jan 18 2011 - 02:24:32 EST

  Okay, this is looking better now....

This is the best I could lock onto the ringing at the tip of the main
pulse... this is *very* zoomed in (.2us/div) and I couldn't quite get it
to trigger ahead of the main pulse. Apologies for the crappy lighting...

http://gamearchive.askey.org/Video_Games/Manufacturers/Atari/monitors/amplifone/raster/images/secondary_ring_15k.jpg

.... but is exactly what I should see. This is pulled off one of the
secondaries.

Additionally: I was feeding my primary with 10VPP. Upon measuring my
secondaries, they all came out just about right comparing to the
computed ratios from 120V down to 10V. I even had a whopping 50VDC on my
anode.

So: Seems this transformer must be good. Pretty exciting that I had it
taken apart to the extent that I did and managed to get to back together
(quite easily too). I will re-silicone it tomorrow and move back to
troubleshooting the support circuitry. Since I have another flyback and
my test rig is stable, I will ring that one tomorrow too and then report
back.

Has anyone run into either the deflection capacitor or the retrace
capacitor breaking down at operating voltages? I still can't believe
that I have two PCB's with the same problem. Shit, maybe my picture tube
has a short? Can I run a flyback with the Anode and focus disconnected?

thanks for staying late at the party!!

jess